Tuesday, November 15, 2011

My True Friend


It is when things go wrong in our life....when so many oppressions and trials happen that we know who our true friends are. It is during these times that you realize that only a few of those people who say they are your friend are there for you. All others are revealed as "good weather friends". Your true friends are those who support and defend you because they know and believe in you even in bad times. Recent experiences have taught me that but in spite of the disappointments, I still feel so blessed. Why? Because I have Jesus, who is our only true friend and He will never abandon me. He is the only one who loves me unconditionally and without measure all the time. He is a friend who sticks closer than a brother (Proverbs 24:18).


This prayer by St. Claude La Colombiere, SJ says it all for me. Claude La Colombière, was beatified on the 16th of June 1929 by Pope Pius XI. He was declared a saint by Blessed Pope John Paul II on May 31, 1992. His feast is celebrated every February 15.
 
TRUE FRIEND
 
Jesus, you are my true friend, my only friend.
You take a part in all my misfortunes;
You take them on yourself;
You know how to change them into blessings.

You listen to me with the greatest kindness
when I relate my troubles to you,
and you always have balm to pour on my wounds.
I find you at all times, I find you everywhere,
You never go away;
if I have to change my dwelling, I find you wherever I go.
You are never weary of listening to me,
You are never tired of doing me good.
I am certain of being beloved by you if I love you;
my goods are nothing to you,
and by bestowing yours on me you never grow poor.
However miserable I may be,
no one nobler or wiser or even holier
can come between you and me,
and deprive me of your friendship;
and death, which tears us away from all other friends,
will unite me forever to you.

All the humiliation attached to old age
or to the loss of honor will never detach you from me.
On the contrary, I shall never enjoy you more fully,
and you will never be closer to me'
than when everything seems to conspire against me,
to overwhelm me, and to cast me down.
You bear with all my faults with extreme patience,
and even my want of fidelity and ingratitude
do not wound you to such a degree
as to make you unwilling to receive me back
when I return to you.

Jesus, grant that I may die praising you,
that I may die loving you,
that I may die for the love of you.

Amen.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...