Thursday, October 20, 2011

Who is Saint Jude Thaddeus?

October 28 is the feast day of St. Jude Thaddeus.  St. Jude was one of the 12 apostles of Jesus. He was the brother of St. James the Less and a relative of Jesus. Saint Jude's attribute is a club. He is also often shown in icons with a flame around his head. This represents his presence at Pentecost, when he received the Holy Spirit with the other apostles. Another common attribute is Jude holding an image of Jesus Christ in his hand or close to his chest. He is the patron saint of desperate, hopeless and impossible cases.



I first knew of St. Jude when my grandmother gave me a statue of him when I was in medical school.  I guess she felt I needed his help (^-^)  I must confess that I have not been very devoted to St. Jude especially when life seems to be going well.  But in spite of me, St. Jude has always been there for me.  I still have that statue and I realize after all this years, St. Jude, my patron has remained faithful to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...